Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Coconut Experience

A few weeks ago Todd  asked me to buy a coconut for him. Somewhere along the line he had read about drinking coconut milk from the coconut, and decided he wanted to try it. In fact, he even asked me to make sure it had "fresh milk" in it.

How does one ensure a coconut is fresh? I truly don't know, so I offered to go on a tropical vacation and pick him one straight from a tree. To my deep consternation, he didn't want me to do that. It would take too long.

So I went to Walmart and found my monkey a coconut. Then he had to wait three days due to back-to-back football games to try it. When we got home from his Saturday game, he immediately got his coconut out of the fridge and got Jack to drill it open for him.

Then he found a straw, and with every ounce of pent-up anticipation in his little frame, he took a deep drink of his coconut milk.

The verdict?


He wasn't impressed. So Beth tried it...


and wasn't impressed.


So Kyle tried it... and wasn't impressed.


This has me thinking I really should go on a tropical vacation and bring home a coconut with fresh milk to see if we might get better results.  I would make that kind of sacrifice for my children because I am a vacation-starved loving mom that way.

Don't worry about the rest of the coconut going to waste, though. After his initial disappointment, Todd perked right up. "Mom!" he said, "If you can find me some long grass to make a hulu skirt out of, I can turn this into a coconut bra and do the hulu dance for Halloween!"

On second thought, maybe I better stay home and make sure my boy isn't going out in public wearing a coconut bra.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coconut milk usually tastes better mixed with pineapple juice (and for the adults, a little bit of rum!)

MoM

Amber Staley said...

That's so funny!!! I have never had coconut milk. Neither do I I have a strong desire to try it. Those kids crack me up! :)

Nel said...

LOL! Normally folks drink the juice (at least in Singapore) the coconut is green and they take a machete to it. I googled and came up with this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Coconut/