Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Fire


I spent the first couple of days of the ice storm re-reading one of my favorite books, The Eight. This was in anticipation of reading the new book, The Fire. The library was open while the power was down, so the kids and I picked up some books to occupy our time. Although I had planned on buying this book, I couldn't resist it when I saw it on the New Release shelf.

I am glad I didn't buy it.

It isn't a horrible book, but it isn't a great book either, and it certainly doesn't do justice to the first one. It provides a ton of historical references and trivia that I always love to read, but that really was its only redeeming feature for me. In The Eight, everything tied together so well that it was easy to wonder whether there might be truth to the story. In The Fire, the storyline makes very little sense and the characters lack any real depth. Even the characters based on REAL people seem lifeless.

So if you are looking for a great book to read, I recommend The Eight. However, I would advise you just pretend it doesn't have a sequel.

1 comment:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hi Jenn, and thanks for delurking to comment.

I haven't read those books but I'll keep your review in mind.

Your ice storm pics look a lot like mine. Our poor trees and shrubs! It'll be a long time before they recover and begin to fill out again.

Have a great Sunday. :o)

Hugs,

Diane