Saturday, November 26, 2005

It's Christmas Time!

I am so happy to see the Christmas season arrive this year! This is going to be a very busy month, but that is a good thing. Everything the kids have been practicing for is about to happen. They have their Sign Design performances, choir performances, plays, Lego League competitions, and a bunch of other Christmasy activities coming up, and we are all excited.

The kittens are in the spirit as well.. LOL... I didn't set up that photo in the banner... they stole my poinsetta banner, and I found them sleeping with it. They woke up when I took their photo. Anakin, the one who is mostly white, has one green eye and one blue... kind of cool.

We had a relaxing Thanksgiving. I made most of the dishes on Wednesday night, and started roasting the bird, so Thursday I got to do some sewing while Jack watched his Cowboys play. I got all of the kids' pajama pants cut out. I made one set of identical bottoms for all of us to wear on Christmas morning, and then cut out a couple of extra pairs in misc patterns for the kids to wear through the winter. I am just making the PJ bottoms this year, and giving them all white t-shirts to wear with them. I also needed to get Faith's hippo jammies ready for her solo performance, so I made those and appliqued some slippers to match them. I will post photos of those tomorrow.

We do have a lot of outdoor activities this month, and I wanted to make the girls something really warm to wear. Faith has been wanting a cloak like Red Riding Hood's and I found a pattern the other day at Walmart. I ended up making one for her and an identical one for Beth. The outside is aqua fleece, the inside is a celery green floral flannel, and then I used Making Memories ribbon as the tie to keep it closed. I figured she would just wear it to things like the live Nativity, where it gets so cold sometimes and we all hunker down under our blankets. She loves it, though, so she wore it today instead of her jacket. I was surprised by the responses we got! I had teenagers asking me to make them some, including Matt who wants a black one to wear as a wizard cloak. One of the teenage girls wants me to make her a pink and black one. I expected people to chuckle a little as my little cloaked girl came by, but that never happened. I never expected people to ask me to make them one! It works very well, too.... Faith stayed cozy under her cloak when the wind was making Matt, Chet and I shiver! I might just make myself one to wear to the outdoor stuff since they work so well... LOL

The hood is actually a little bunched up in this shot.. it folds around her face a lot smoother than that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad that I stopped by your blog today. It made me happy, happy, happy! First of all, I LOVE your banner. It is perfect. I will have to show it to my kids because they are kitten freaks and they will just love this picture.

Secondly, rarely do I read blogs where people actually sew. That, alone, thrills me. Then, when I read about the matching jammies, I get all excited. THEN... I read about these cloaks and I am over the moon thrilled. The cloak is FANTASTIC. I love it. Her little face is glowing in the picture and I can tell that she is so proud of her new attire. What a wonderful mother you are. Thank you so much for sharing that through your blog.

Hi my name is Marjorie said...

Love your banner. They are too precious. The cloak is awesome. Bet she just loves it.

Anonymous said...

I am actually attempting matching jammies for the first time this year. I wish I had been wise enough though to just do the bottoms. I am doing nightgowns. All 4 girls for $11 thanks to the after-Thanksgiving sale! I might be asking for advice. :) Love the cloak!!!!!

Sarah

Katrine said...

Very cute cloak! I have a friend who's 4 year old daughter begins chemo in January. I thought this would make a perfect gift for her! I thought it would be something easy for them to drape over her in the cold weather and snow. Especially after she loses her hair. Do you have the pattern company and # so I can get the pattern? I would really appreciate it!

Sue said...

Awwwwwwwwww - love the cloak!!! And your banner rocks!! That is an amazing photo :)

And to repeat what Kelly said - you are an excellent mom!! I have no sewing skills whatsoever :( I actually tried to sew on a Christmas card today and jammed the machine - lol!