Friday, December 16, 2005

Centennial Celebration

Las Vegas has been celebrating its 100th birthday all year long. Yesterday was a time capsule centennial celebration, and Sign Design was invited to participate.

This is one of the two boxes buried in the time capsule. After a speech from the mayor, both of the boxes were placed in the cement capsule and buried in concrete. Then the mayor and assorted other people placed their hands in the wet cement and signed it.

Before the actual burial happened, our world-famous (or infamous depending on your point of view) mayor, Oscar Goodman arrived with his showgirl companions. Most people didn't notice he had arrived yet because they were participating in the pre-show that George Dare was putting in. I took advantage of the moment, and took Kyle over to meet him. Mayor Goodman and the showgirls were so nice to Kyle, and they were all very willing to take a picture with him. We have been teasing Kyle about flirting with the pretty girls all morning... LOL

Matt had let Faith up on his back so she could see the capsule burial better. I thought that was sweet of him, and I liked this shot.


After the burial, several other local choirs and Sign Design performed "Shine, Las Vegas" with the singer/songwriter George Dare. (This is Vegas' official song) I took most of the performance pics with my SLR, so this is the only one I have to share from my digital camera



While Mayor Goodman was giving his welcome speech, I turned around and George Dare was right behind us. I gathered my kids up real fast and took a picture with him as well. After the show he stayed after the majority of the crowds were gone, and he signed photos for all the SD kids. I thought that was really nice of him.

The kids ended up being on a couple of news segments last night, but the only channel that gave it any real coverage was channel 8, and I am disgusted with the commentary George Knapp had on it. He gave it a negative and sarcastic spin (called all of us who were there to watch this happen "curious gawkers") and he used it as a chance to aim some pointed barbs towards Oscar Goodman. However, we had a great time, and it was thrilling to see my kids get to be a part of our local history. It was a memorable occasion, and a rare opportunity, and this "curious gawker" hopes her grandkids or great-grandkids can be there to see this capsule opened a century from now.

No comments: