Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Memoirs of a Geisha


I just got done reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Wow... it is a very good book! I love historical fiction, but I usually read historical novels based upon European royalty. This was a fascinating break, and an intriguing look into an entirely different culture. I started reading it with the assumption it was a true story... I think I had heard it was based on a true story, and just didn't know beforehand that it wasn't. (I know, it is a novel, but novels about the Plantagenet family are based on real people, and most of the best ones are based upon historical facts)So, the story isn't true, but the historical content in it is, and I recommend it if you haven't already read it.

Whenever I read a book I really like, I tend to get online and go find other related information and search for other similar books to read. Here is a geisha site that seems pretty interesting so far. Here is a quote from it that speaks to the part of me that loves to mix unusual colors together on my scrapbook pages. "There is just something about pairing unusual colours together to create a harmonious finish - much like putting a kimono ensemble together!"

This is a quote that was on my daily quote thingabobby over there on the side of my blog. I like it, so I want to keep it for future reference. As soon as I figure out how to add some extra bars to the sides of my blog (Sue???) I want to add a photo album type section to add my quotes that I like the most.

Learning without thought
is labor lost; thought
without learning is
perilous.
Confucius


Now I need to go get in bed. And I need another book to read. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you've sold me on this book. I've been waiting to hear a report from someone who I trust (you know, someone like me!). I do the same thing, if I am in love with the book, then I go online and read everything I can about the subject. Usually, I try to find the message boards where they are discussing the book. Those people always have great recommendations.

Sarah said...

Did you know the movie is coming out soon? I am actually just posting here because I remember you saying that you never check your e-mail. :) There is an e-mail for you so hurry and read it. Utmost importance for Jack. :)