Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Christmas Blocks

The other night I was supposed to go to my friend Chris' house and make some Donna Downey photo blocks. I wasn't able to make it, though, and ideas for those blocks have been swirling around in my brain ever since. I still need to pick up my blocks from Chris, but in the meantime, Jack cut me this lovely pile of blocks from his 4x4 scraps. They are a couple of different sizes, but that makes them even prettier!



Now that I had this sweet little pile of blocks, I needed to start working with them since the kids were already trying to lay claim to them. (Toy blocks... who would think of blocks of wood as toys??? LOL)

Anyway... I started with my Christmas blocks. There are two Christmas releases from this year that I simply adore... Flair and 7 Gypsies. I bought both of them at the last couple of shows, and was just waiting for the perfect inspiration to hit for them. I painted the blocks with a medium brown, distressed them with a deep, rich red-brown, dry-brushed the papers and modpodged them on the blocks, dry-brushed my Pressed Petals letters and sanded them, then added the letters and stickers to the blocks. The black rub-on words are from What's New, and some of them didn't rub on very well. Now I am excited to go clean my house so my new blocks can look wonderful on top of the tv wall unit!







11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I just love the blocks. You make me sick, in a good way and that's a compliment. I think that you are just one creative chick. Love, Love, Love them. Can you do a class with these, please.

Jenn said...

Who are you??? LOL! I wouldn't be able to make them a class before Christmas, but I can get a kit together for you if you want me to. Email me or call me!

Anonymous said...

It me Sarah Murphy from Pebbles or should I say used to be at Pebbles. Jen I would totally pay alot for a kit I'm not kidding, I've actually have been trying to find wooden blocks so I can just do a photo block like donna downey and can't find the blocks anywhere. I would e-mail you butI think you get to many e-mails you seem to never answer me back because I've e-mailed you a couple of times. I don't have a blog so I thougt I couldn't leave my name sorry for that. Are you in the phone book because i don't have a phone number for you.

Caro said...

WOWZA Jenn! This jsut ROCKS!!!!!! I'm feeling inspired!

Katrine said...

I absolutely love those Christmas blocks! They are the best I've seen! What kind of saw did your dh use to cut your blocks? I have a scroll saw and a jig saw and I don't think either one of those would work.

Anonymous said...

Jenn, I love them, they are so cute. I too would pay for a kit. I think they are great. WendiB

Hi my name is Marjorie said...

Jenn these are wonderful. How creative!

Anonymous said...

Jen, those are gorgeous. I had my DH cut me a bunch of blocks and haven't had any time to do anything with them. After seeing what you have done, I am inspired.

~Pam S.

Sue said...

WOW :) Jenn - you are amazing :)

Anonymous said...

Jennifer - these are awesome!!

Jennifer Stewart said...

Oh my Jen, these are INCREDIBLE blocks!! Wow, I just love them! You so rock :)

Jennifer