Monday, August 01, 2005

Washington chapel


If I lived anywhere near Valley Forge, I would seriously consider converting to be an Episcopalian. This is the George Washington Memorial Chapel, which is a working parish. It encompasses so many things that are important to me... spirituality, patriotism, rememberance, beautiful architecture, and nice people. I ate in the log cabin behind it, and it was delicious. Homemade chicken salad sandwich with homemade oatmeal cookies... mmmm.

This tree grows in front of the chapel. Isn't it interesting?

These photos are taken inside the carillon, and I thought the etchings in the marble were gorgeous.

These medallions are embedded all the way around the outside of the building. Most of them are different in style, but they are all the same size.

I have never been in a church that seems so intertwined with the country's past. The names of veterans of pretty much every war since the Revolutionary War are engraved, etched, or displayed in the walls or on plaques all over the place.

No comments: