Sunday, July 31, 2005

An apple a day keeps the doctor away



This was the tunnel that Ben Franklin walked through to get to his house.


I went into this Post Office at the Franklin Court and it is still a working PO. I bought some postcards and mailed them to the kids so they would have the cancellation stamp from this office. Franklin's printing office was closed while we were there, so I didn't get to see it, but I did get to see where the foundation of his house still exists. This lady in the photo was fun to walk behind. I thought she was adorable in her western outfit with the red hat, boots, and gloves. I don't know how she wore that heavy outfit in the sweltering humidit, though!



Benjamin and Deborah Franklin are both buried in the Christ Church cemetary. Visitors leave pennies on the grave. It is a simple grave... their names are etched on the marble slab, but there aren't any elaborate markers or epitaphs included.


The Christ Church cemetary is also the final resting spot for five signers of the Declaration of Independance, as well as John Dunlap, who printed the first copies of the D of I after it was signed. Of the 200 copies that are believed to be printed in the first print, only 25 are known to still exist. There are still four tribal chiefs buried there as well. They came with four other chiefs to meet with the city leaders, and died of yellow fever. Four of them were removed and taken back to have an proper burial by their own people, and the other four are now said to haunt the cemetary. The church was attended by several notable persons of history, including Washington, Franklin, and Betsy Ross. Today you can sit in their pews, but during their time you would have been kicked out for doing so!

Benjamin Franklin was a truly remarkable man. I have immensely enjoyed learning about him through the years. This is one of my favorite biographies about his life if you are looking to enrich your knowledge on this particular fore-father!

1 comment:

Sue said...

I love all your pictures - makes me feel like I have travelled too :)